SailNet Community - View Single Post - Continuous duty, non-thermally compensated alternator: options?
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Continuous duty, non-thermally compensated alternator: options?

With a 220 AH battery bank and only alternator charging you do not have enough capacity for one day really. Alternator charging is only efficient up to about 80 - 85% capacity - the last 15 - 20% will take many hours, regardless of alternator size. That means that your usable AH is between 50% - the lowest you should discharge to for long battery life - and say 85%. With a 220 AH bank that leaves you with 77 AH usable and that doesn't meet your daily use of 83.4 AH.

I would repair the alternator or purchase an affordable one, not an expensive Balmar. Leece Neville/Prestolite makes affordable alternators for one. If you repair your alt installing an external regulator is one option that will solve the temp compensation your Hitachi has with its internal reg.

I would also recommend LED's for all interior lights as previously posted. And I would definitely look at solar - it is the only good simple way to reach full charge away from shorepower. And yes solar panels do work well in this area.