SailNet Community - View Single Post - Continuous duty, non-thermally compensated alternator: options?
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013

Rusty123 is on a distinguished road
Continuous duty, non-thermally compensated alternator: options?

Wow, I spent a long time formatting that table, but when I hit post, the formatting disappeared [edit - fixed].

Anyway, the lamp reading is with LED, so that's covered, but the concept is sound - a penny saved is a penny earned. The biggest user, by far, is the refrigerator, as expected (almost 30 Ah). Since I don't plan to be away from a marina for more than a day or two at a time, I suppose I could just turn it off on those days.

I also was surprised how much my refer ran -- about 6 min off, 1.5 min on. Seems like a pretty high duty cycle, particularly in this cool weather (it's a Norcold icebox retrofit). I'm going to investigate efficiency improvements (like insulation and lid gasket), since it's such a heavy user.

I took the Hitachi into the shop to be rebuilt today. With the battery monitor, I'll be able to see what it's really doing. I looked on the web for other alternator brands (including Prestolite), but I haven't found anything in the Yanmar frame configuration. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places - anybody have a link?

Solar...something new to think about. What did I do with my time B.B? (Before boat).

Last edited by Rusty123; 10-19-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook