SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour

Quote:
Originally Posted by piclarke View Post
I.m not a Student, I,m a equivalent to a tutor, instructor and I have to pay someone with less experience less qualifications and add thousands in dollars in value to his asset so i get to pee in his toilet.
When you go on one of their "expeditions" it is made pretty clear that you are volunteering your services. The fact that somebody else might be willing to pay handsomely for your services is irrelevant. Nobody made you enter into this arrangement. You understood that you would be making a contribution of your own money to help cover the expenses of the trip.

To me it's very much like a church mission trip somebody might go on. They pay their own way. They typically provide for at least a portion of their own food. They are expected to work. Where this particular operation gets a little shady for me is the stated purpose of their journeys. Seems like they are mostly just traveling around. It's not clear that they're really doing any good at all but I suppose that argument can be made about lots of missions.

So is the whole "Expedition" bit in this instance a sham and all it's really about is getting cheap labor to sail and maintain a large vessel? Maybe. But in the general case I don't have any problem with this kind of arrangement. Like I've said before, if handled well I think it can easily turn out to be beneficial for everyone involved.