SailNet Community - View Single Post - do you carry an acoustic Guitar?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: do you carry an acoustic Guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
OM-28 Eric Clapton is a beautiful, high quality guitar. I almost purchased one myself.

I have fat fingers, and like wide necks, which may be why I didn't go for it. Wider necks are harder to play, but fat fingers make it too easy to get a buzz or mute when playing.

I also like 12 fret necks. I like to imagine that letting the body touch the neck at the point of harmonics disrupts the sound waves less. Wave reflections should stack in phase.

Doubtful it means anything, but it's all in fun!
I hear you. When carving a neck, I use 12 string width on a 6 string down at the nut. Some guitars, like some of the post 60s Gibsons have awfully tight string spacing. I gave my daughter my early 60s Hummingbird, never really liked how it sounded or how it played, mostly due to the tight neck width. I would love to bring a good guitar on the boat, I know exactly what Bob is saying, but there just isn't room for a full sized case with all the rest of the crap I have aboard. Going to make room for a fiddle this winter though.

Last edited by smurphny; 10-19-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook