SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Snubbers Redux
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Mantus hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Doesn't sound too good.

Based on the discussion on this group, I also ordered the Mantus Hook but in stainless (I am not too concerned about breaking strength for a snubber). I ordered this a week ago. They seem to take their sweet time about it: I ordered it on Amazon a week ago and it is still listed as 'being prepared for shipping.' Not a problem, I am snowed with work and can't go sailing this week or next but usually stuff ordered through Amazon is shipped within a day or two.

I will let you guys know how it looks like when it gets here.
The hook is here!

As promised, here is my impression: It is a beautiful piece of hardware!

I originally thought of buying the galvanized version but it turned out that S/H on the stainless was free and on the galvanized not, so the price difference was small so I bought the stainless. I am glad I did. None of the problems reported with the galvanized apply to my stainless version. The casting is flawless. And with a WLL of 5400Lb for the 3/8" hook, I am surely not concerned about its strength. It fits beautifully on the chain and seems to hook on very securely.

You can tell I am VERY happy with it, so far.

I put on a good-sized SS shackle on it and I plan to splice an 1/2" three-stranded nylon on it (although Mantus recommends 5/8"; I think 1/2" is strong enough and has more flex). I was thinking of about 15' or 20' long.

Only question remaining: should I make it a bridle or just a single line? I used single lines so far (lead through a chock) which worked fine but perhaps I missed something?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook