SailNet Community - View Single Post - do you carry an acoustic Guitar?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: do you carry an acoustic Guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Smurph:
Right. As much as I love that SJ200 the case is so big that to bring it on the PERRYWINKLE (if I still had it and I don't) would have been stupid. But I did 90% of my cruising by myself and the guitar got the quarter berth.

I've played several Hummingbirds. Never found one I liked. Never analyzed it but I never warmed up to that guitar. I'd say my JS200 neck is medium width. My Clapton Strats are silly skinny. But fun to play lead on. Impossible to chord on if you want to stay in tune.
Built a Tele recently, having become convinced that Brad Paisley must be the world's best guitar player and wanting to learn some of his licks:-). Made the body from boards cut from an Ash tree I cut down a few years ago, the neck from some really tight grained, quarter-sawn red cedar. Put Custom Shop electronics in it. Those thin, stretchy electric guitar strings definitely make keeping chords in tune virtually impossible but there are things the Fenders do that no other guitar can match. That "chicken pickin" sound seem to be synonymous with Fender. Bought a Taylor T5 a few years back, expecting maybe a good cross between acoustic and electric but it does neither really well although it is a really nice guitar to play. I'm sure it would not survive long on the boat.