SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Modern hull shapes.

I have to apologies to Eric because it seems that I am always bringing his boat down in what regards comparing performance with other performance boats. I would like to make clear that I find the Pogo 12.50 a fantastic boat with an amazing performance for a cruising boat and not only a sail one but a practical because that boat can have a draft of a bit more than a meter an that allows it to go everywhere and the boat is sold at a low price considering the quality of building, materials and the swing keel.

So why I take always the Pogo as reference for less positive performance considerations: Precisely because the Pogo is very fast but mostly because many here associates the hull shape of the Pogo with the one of a model performance hull, I mean, the ONLY shape and characteristics that a performance hull should have and that is plain wrong.

That shape of hull is good on certain conditions and points of sail, indicated for solo sailing for its added stability (even if probably a solo boat maximized for upwind sailing would be less beamier) not so good in other and not very good in some.

The frequent analysis that I made here based in real times on major races comparing performances of boats sailed by top crews has as main objective to put some light on the subject and learn more about different hull types in different sea and wind conditions. I have been learning and there is much more to be learned.

Modern hulls in fast performance cruisers can have different shapes, maximized to work at his best in different conditions and points of sail, needed a bigger or a smaller crew. Here are some of them:

Do I have a preference?: Yes but that is related with the type of sailing I end up doing most, upwind sailing or light air sailing and it is not the best choice for solo sailing (boat more difficult to handle) - Give me a Ker 39

One of the things it makes the Pogo so extraordinaire is that many can have a Pogo 12.50 that has a "normal" price while a Ker 39 would cost at least more 50% if not more and anyway like the Pogo to maintain top performance it would have to be kept very light.

As I cannot (like) to cruise as light as Eric on a second thought in fact for the load I carry, for that type of very fast planning boat, I would need a much bigger boat, maybe a Premier 45? And that is the problem, that would cost a fortune.

So in the end I would stick (like most) with a Salona 41, a Comet 41, a First 40 or a J122, more heavy boats that would not be so affected by the heavier load. Of course with the extra load I would be saying goodbye to planning speeds, except in rare occasions, but would end up with a boat that would still have a very good performance if compared with main market cruisers. But...if I was going to make a circumnavigation or even crossing the pond on both directions following the trade winds or do a considerable percentage with that kind of sailing, I would take the Pogo 12.50, with some load and all. There I would appreciate its downwind speed and most of all its superior easiness. Having fun with a sailboat is a thing, long range voyaging is another.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-20-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook