SailNet Community - View Single Post - Downside of living aboard
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Re: Downside of living aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post

Well I am not looking at 20 footers, but at low to mid thirties. I feel that is plenty of room, some have separate stall shower, but I am having trouble finding ones that do in boats that actually sail well. My thought is to be able to sail as often as I can, and I would have no interest in trying to get out on the water for an hour or two in a 50+ foot sailboat, too much work. I am willing to have less space to fill up with unnecessary possessions in the name of sailing more. I want something that when I come home from work I look at the tree tops and if they are swaying a bit, I can throw off the lines and go out for a few hours. No need for planing in advance, and small enough that I am comfortable with my somewhat limited experience. Anything bigger or more complicated will cost too much to maintain in both cash and time. So bigger is not necessarily better, just bigger. I think you are giving the impression that if you can't buy a very large boat, don't try to live on one. Heck Laura and Chuck have been living happily on an Albin Vega 27 for lots of years, and of course Lin and Larry have lived on sub 30 foot boats for decades. I don't think size is as important as actually having the correct attitude and expectations.

So yes I am looking for a day sailor that I can live on. Not a bad thing in my book. I don't need much space, and the kids will only be aboard for a weekend or so a month. (I am realistic that teenagers will have enough to do that they will not really want to spend a lot of time with there dad anymore, they used to come every weekend.) I won't be going too far off shore for several years yet. All I need is a boat to get out on the water, and just big enough for me to live on.

Now as far as not going out often, I have to say I have had many very good days sitting in the cockpit of a boat with a drink in my hand with a friend right at the dock or mooring. So a lot can be said about just wanting to be around the marina culture. Granted if that were the case I would not choose a sailboat.
I agree and I was surprised to see the words that you are responding to listed as my quote. Something was scrambled from post 44 to post 46 that has caused a couple of "mis-quotes".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook