SailNet Community - View Single Post - Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Well, it doesn't show me that, at all...

That boat appears pretty seriously tricked out for high latitude sailing... I suspect the owner is pretty experienced, and the guy making the video is more or less along for the ride...

For the life of me, I can't fathom the compulsion by some around here to find "proof" that one can sail around the world with NO prior experience... Sure, it's been done, just as people have made it to the top of Everest with minimal prior climbing experience... What's the point? Are you suggesting such is the recommended way to go about such ventures?

Also, I think it's bad Karma to speak of a circumnavigation such as this almost as if it's a done deal... If I were sailing around the world, I'd try to refrain from calling it a 'circumnavigation', or suggesting the trip would be 'proof' of anything, until it was actually completed... Jeanne Socrates' first attempt at a circumnavigation ended on a Mexican beach less than 100 miles from crossing her outbound track, after all... When speaking of any voyage, one should always strive to heed the wisdom of Yogi, as in: "It ain't over, 'till it's over"...
When I hear of someone doing this sort of thing I wonder if they are a daredevil type like, whats his name, Evil Kinevil? Then I wonder about his IQ. Third I think of myself, a person that has embarked upon many projects, ventures alone and with no prior experience for the most part successfully. Once or twice I almost killed myself. The fact is anything can be accomplished if one approaches it cautiously and with the proper mind set and materials.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook