SailNet Community - View Single Post - Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
so many people sail a few miles, then fly away for a period of time, returning to do a little more sailing using this pattern until they have "sail around the world". To me this dosent qualify as a circumnavigation of the globe. If a guy stocks up on his beer then takes off stopping here and there to rest and make repairs and eventually returns to his starting point that would be a circumnavigation
Yeah, I'm not sure about that.

A full sail around the world should take IMO at least three years. I know that I "raced" across the Pacific to get my boat home and it took me nearly three months. To do that same trip quietly would have taken me at least 8 to 10 months (weather aside). And that's only a third of a full world trip. There is still an awful lot to see.

But not many folks want to be away from "home" for three years so a few trips back an forth at 600kn instead of 6kn is necessary. AFAIAC if you cross three oceans and visit 5 continents you have completed a circumnavigation. If that takes a few years, well, isn't that the essence of cruising?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook