SailNet Community - View Single Post - Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before
View Single Post
post #36 of Old 10-21-2013
Omatako

Re: Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
so many people sail a few miles, then fly away for a period of time, returning to do a little more sailing using this pattern until they have "sail around the world". To me this dosent qualify as a circumnavigation of the globe. If a guy stocks up on his beer then takes off stopping here and there to rest and make repairs and eventually returns to his starting point that would be a circumnavigation
Yeah, I'm not sure about that.

A full sail around the world should take IMO at least three years. I know that I "raced" across the Pacific to get my boat home and it took me nearly three months. To do that same trip quietly would have taken me at least 8 to 10 months (weather aside). And that's only a third of a full world trip. There is still an awful lot to see.

But not many folks want to be away from "home" for three years so a few trips back an forth at 600kn instead of 6kn is necessary. AFAIAC if you cross three oceans and visit 5 continents you have completed a circumnavigation. If that takes a few years, well, isn't that the essence of cruising?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome