SailNet Community - View Single Post - How high can you point?
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 10-21-2013
Re: How high can you point?

Originally Posted by Lidgard29 View Post
I'm trying to determine if my 1986 Lidgard 29' sloop points well. Most days we tack up around 100-120 degrees from side to side. In other words, we are 50-60 degrees off the wind. How are other boats doing?
The real question here has not to do with how close to the wind a boat can get but what is the wind angle where a boat makes against the wind a better VMG. That angle varies with the wind intensity (it becomes smaller with stronger winds)

For reefing the sails, or for solving some problem I can bring my boat to an incredible wind angle, even on auto pilot, without losing boat control but the speed will fall to half of what I can get with more 7 of 8 degrees.

Modern performance boats, specially the ones that are designed to be specially good upwind can give you an idea about the best you can have today on a cruising boat and serve as comparison.

A First 35 best upwind angle with 6K wind will be 43.7 and the boat will be made a VMG (not boat speed) of 3.35K. With 16K the best upwind angle would be 39.4 and the VMG would be 5.15K.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-21-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome