SailNet Community - View Single Post - How high can you point?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: How high can you point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidgard29 View Post
I'm trying to determine if my 1986 Lidgard 29' sloop points well. Most days we tack up around 100-120 degrees from side to side. In other words, we are 50-60 degrees off the wind. How are other boats doing?
The real question here has not to do with how close to the wind a boat can get but what is the wind angle where a boat makes against the wind a better VMG. That angle varies with the wind intensity (it becomes smaller with stronger winds)

For reefing the sails, or for solving some problem I can bring my boat to an incredible wind angle, even on auto pilot, without losing boat control but the speed will fall to half of what I can get with more 7 of 8 degrees.

Modern performance boats, specially the ones that are designed to be specially good upwind can give you an idea about the best you can have today on a cruising boat and serve as comparison.

A First 35 best upwind angle with 6K wind will be 43.7º and the boat will be made a VMG (not boat speed) of 3.35K. With 16K the best upwind angle would be 39.4º and the VMG would be 5.15K.

http://www.yca.org.ar/Gallery/3108.pdf

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-21-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook