SailNet Community - View Single Post - Live aboard legal address
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Re: Live aboard legal address

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Dave, no state can require you to be a resident of that state and I'm pretty sure the Republic couldn't require you to reside in any state either. US citizens normally have dual citizenship, one in a state and one in the Federal Republic. They are conferred differently and put different requirements on you. But really, Comrade, back when it was being KGB you would have been better informed about these things before being given a "US" identity. (VBG)

Matter of fact, a US citizen might be a resident of one of 50 states, 11 insular possessions, OR the District of Columbia. So there are at least 12 "I'm not a resident of any State" types of US citizens, even among the citizens who live in or on US soils.

Well my concern is that a state can come after you for taxes if you haven't shown that you've LEFT that state AND established residency in another state. Hell the (People's Republic of ) MARYLAND tried to get me for taxes 3 years after I had moved to VIRGINIA (getting a driver's license, registering to vote and filing VA taxes....) solely b/c I still had a POB in MD!

So it can be problematic to prove you've left a state; further compounded if you haven't established residency in another state. How would one "leave" the US w/ no intention to return for some period of years and not get hunted down?