SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Sly 43

I post about a lot of boats and I like most of them even if they are not boats I would like to own, at least at the present time. Well, this one I would like to have.

So why would I like to have this one if I have a 40ft and the size fits me well? Because this boat has about the same weight of my boat and probably the admissible load would be very similar, in fact the tankage is not very different. So why would I prefer this to mine that I find also beautiful and fast?

Just because I find this one even more beautiful.... and faster, with the same type of sailing performance of my boat, I mean, a great upwind potential and an overall balanced performance.

Regarding the Comet 41s It has the same type of hull but this one is lighter, uses E-glass laminates sandwiching a PVC foam core infused by epoxy-vyniliester resin a reinforcement carbon grid vacuum bagged and laminated to the hull and composite bulkheads. A top building that allows a very light boat (7880kg) with a considerable B/D ratio (32%) considering 2.55m of draft and a lead torpedo keel. Probably I would prefer a 2.25m keel, that would mean the same RM but with a superior B/D ratio due to an heavier bulb.

The 42 was already a great boat, this one (that is a new boat with a different hull) seems just better specially in what regards cruising. This one has a much nicer interior

Just to give an Idea of the speed potential have a look at this video with the Sly 42:

Regarding the Sly 42 (that was European yacht of the year in 2008), the 43 has a much nicer interior, it is beamier (3.96 to 3.80) and even so remains relatively narrow boat for a 43ft and is slightly bigger 12.97 to 12.80m. There is only one thing that I would like to see different and that's the design of the transom/ final part of the hull. I would have preferred not such a fast transition between the bottom and the side of the hull. Some say that shape allows a better upwind performance (at the cost at a superior downwind stability) but I am not totally convinced.

Now just have a look and see if it is not a WOW!!! boat. It is, at least for me

The photo of the interior does not make justice to it (too much light). Just look at this video and you understand what I mean:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-21-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook