SailNet Community - View Single Post - Live aboard legal address
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013

Iliveonboat is on a distinguished road
Re: Live aboard legal address

My girlfriend registered her moped to the address of the boat which is floating in the bay at this zip code. I showed the registration. The DMV person went back to talk to a supervisor and came back and said "I can take a verbal" to which I said its floating in that bay a few miles down the street... Asked for mooring fee receipt, I replied I have an anchor , anchor light, so it's not a hazard to navigation and explained that real quick . The boat is registered to me at my "official" address on the other coast but my mailing address on the registration is here. The company I work for has offices on both coasts that I can receive mail at.

I don't know what they actually wrote for her address in the computer, I guess its the boat and it's location in the bay. It is our residence, its nicer than many of the houses around here .

The address on the moped registration is "name-general delivery- post office-zip".

I can't help but type in how incredibly stupid I think this whole "residence" thing is and I resent this whole hassle imposed on me over it. My girl got a ticket for no tag after that shady bike store that sold it to her said "just show them the bill of sale" and made it seem like that was O.K and normal just to make the sale that day and not scare her off with registration details.

Then she is rightfully all upset over needing to register it therefor 'needing' that stupid 'address-residence' for the court date over the driving with no tag.

I will try and find out what exact words they ended up actually putting down as our "address".

At least I got to say to my girlfriend 'told ya so', we got the tag.

Last edited by Iliveonboat; 10-21-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: more info added
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook