SailNet Community - View Single Post - AIS "extremely vulnerable to hackers"
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: AIS "extremely vulnerable to hackers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
As much as I love AIS receive only...there was a reason I never installed a transponder. The thought of me being tracked on sites like marine traffic....just gave me heeby geebies. But thats my tin foil hat side showing again.
Actually, you make a valid point. Given that AIS tracks are now, thanks to products like OpenCPN, at least, if not more widely referred to by the captains and crews of 21st century shipping than radar is, I'm sure they'd share your thoughts as they steer through known pirate zones.

Banning/locking out sites like Marine Traffic might be part of a solution but, given that AIS is essentially a ship-to-ship communications system that (like radio) functions by everyone being able to "non-securely" receive and transmit messages, I can't see how changing the protocol to make it more "secure" (whatever that entails) would help anyone anywhere - pirates equipped with a valid AIS receiver would still be able to track their targets without difficulty once they got in range of the AIS signals.

Maybe, in this case, locking up the researchers for tampering with a marine safety system is a better course of action.

Last edited by Classic30; 10-21-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook