SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crew newbie looking for sailing experience on US West Coast
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013

Deltarex is on a distinguished road
Crew newbie looking for sailing experience on US West Coast

I am a 32 year old male US Navy officer with limited hands on experience in sailing who is looking for opportunities to increase my practical sailing skills under the guidance of a veteran skipper. I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area and looking for everything from daysails here in the Bay to multiday trips departing or arriving here. Anything up to a week in US waters can be arranged on short notice, longer trips or those that go outside the US will require more advanced planning.

As a qualified submarine officer I learned a number of skills relevant to sailing including:
-Navigation and chart reading
-Watch standing rotation and responsibilities
-Rules of the Road and collision avoidance
-Radio communications
-General seamanship (not prone to sea-sickness, water conservation, etc.)

My practical sailing experience is unfortunately limited to day sails on Bermuda rigged monohulls. I am however a very fast learner and will enthusiastically apply myself if provided the opportunity to get more hands on training as part of your crew. I am especially curious to spend some time at sea with other hull types and rigs, but I will eagerly jump at any chance to get underway.

I am not looking for a paid position, just the chance to work as part of the crew and earn my keep during the voyage. I am available anytime between now and Spring of 2014. Please drop a reply on this forum if you have any further questions.

-Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook