SailNet Community - View Single Post - Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure about that.

A full sail around the world should take IMO at least three years. I know that I "raced" across the Pacific to get my boat home and it took me nearly three months. To do that same trip quietly would have taken me at least 8 to 10 months (weather aside). And that's only a third of a full world trip. There is still an awful lot to see.

But not many folks want to be away from "home" for three years so a few trips back an forth at 600kn instead of 6kn is necessary. AFAIAC if you cross three oceans and visit 5 continents you have completed a circumnavigation. If that takes a few years, well, isn't that the essence of cruising?
I understand. Thanks for the input having done the trip yourself. I now will be less criticle than I was. However, lets look at the any race like the transpac. So if what your saying transpac racer could stop and go home to play with the family, etc. then when he's rested go back to the race. Of course only the time his vessel was under way would be clocked as official time. Granted if someone takes 10 years to go round the world he has in fact done so but he is not in the same league as the guy that takes off and doesn't stop till he reaches home port. I think of a circumnavigation as a single trip not a 10 year or more series of vacations. Would both circumnavigators get the same credit in my book? nope, don't think so. No more than the transpac racer that decided to stop for a break or have a beer would.
Food for thought
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook