old guy :)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Re: VHF AIS radios
Just my personal feelings and experience:
- We always have a laptop on board with moving map software that is AIS compliant when we are cruising.
- We have a separate AIS receiver (about $200.00)
- The receiver is tied into our laptop as well as our chart plotter at the helm.
- We like the AIS because there are some pretty good size freighters and ferrys where we sail and I like to be able to talk to the bridge and call them by name if necessary.
- We sail in an area where fog will occur.
- Make sure whatever display that you will be looking at the AIS data is large enough so it makes sense.
- AIS is another tool to help you stay safe, IMHO it does not replace anything, but it really does add to the package.
We would not be without it.
Irwin Citation 34