SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello all, I'm a new user but an old sailor
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hello all, I'm a new user but an old sailor

Paulo,

I was not able to quickly find the Cynthia Woods discussions, but from memory (and Kiko can certainly correct me if I have this wrong) the published investigation concluded that the Cynthia Woods, while somewhat close to the then current design recommendations, was none the less constructed within the puiblished standards which would apply.

The report concluded that the damage to the keel from the earlier grounding was:
- more extensive than understood by the people performing the repairs,
-that there should have been more comprehensive professional assistance in evaluating and repairing the damage,
-that the damage was probably made worse by the boat being in a slip which was too shallow resulting in multiple daily groundings with the tide, and
-that the actual mode of failure was a separating of the hull laminate in the keel area of the boat, which initiated with delaminating of the skin below the transverse frames and spread out into the hull.

There are important lessons in the Cynthia Woods tragedy regarding how high impact grounds should be evaluated and repaired that make Kiko's company's findings very helpful reading for anyone who owns a boat or who is charged with evaluating and repairing grounding damage.

My take away was that the visible damage was only the tip of the problem. My sense is that while ultimate failure mode would have been hard to detect without taking off the keel, and may have been nearly impossible to detect with an encapsulated keel, safety demands that a full and proper investigation take place after any hard grounding.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
PCP (10-22-2013)