SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Ocean is broken? really?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013

tdoster is on a distinguished road
Re: The Ocean is broken? really?

I was walking down the street a few weeks ago and a man in front of me threw a cigarette butt on the ground. I reached down and picked it up, carried it over to a garbage can, made sure it was out and threw it away. He watched that happen and if it happens enough times, he may change his behavior. And he may not, but does not mean I change my behavior because of the bad apples.

My strongest point is that complaining that the government or someone needs to do something about it is mute. We get regulations from the EPA that take taxes, fees and fines that don't fund what they are supposed to fund. We have people like Al Gore out there making millions off of lecturing on Man Made Global Warming, but has his own jet and multiple homes that are much larger than he needs and has a personal carbon footprint hundreds of times larger than most of the people he is lecturing.

No one looks at the big picture and Lord knows no one wants to boil things down to the actual problem or even talk about the elephant in the room. No one wants to look at other ramifications or actually mitigate the long-term problems, much less talk about anything unless there is personal near term gain to be had.

It is a losing battle to expect someone else to do something about it, but doing our own part can be contagious and at least thought provoking.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook