SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lightning protection- precision 18
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightning protection- precision 18

Lightning Protection and other myths.

That should get folks talking.

I have read a few articles on this topic. Some swear by it, others scoff at it. The lightning protection industry waffles on its effectiveness as does the insurance industry. SO, the real question is "What is the likelihood that you will take a strike?" Answer that and you'll find out whether on not you should spend the money. If I recall correctly, south Florida is lightning strike alley, with 20% of the boats taking hits or near misses. Up here in Maine, I've only heard of one fellow taking a near miss that still fried his electronics. There may be more that I haven't heard about. The real problem isn't the electronics but a blow through in the hull. The lighting can burn a hole right through as it exits. If it's someplace that you can see, plug it. But if it exits in the back of the transom where you cant' see or reach, you're pretty much done. Terror tactics notwithstanding, I wouldn't worry about it. A 20' mast isn't very likely to get hit. But, again, check your location. Our mast is about 30' up and I'm not terribly concerned.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seguin Light Harbor.jpg (65.5 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook