SailNet Community - View Single Post - Water in Cylinders
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013

Jolly Roger is on a distinguished road
Re: Water in Cylinders

Since Mikogold had a successful outcome from your advice, I would like to ask more of less the same questions in the hope someone could help with my problem. Here’s the story:
While changing the ½” water exhaust pipes to ¾” pipe to try to reduce the running temperature, I joined the raw water outlet from the heat exchanger to the exhaust pipe, without going through the anti siphon valve.
The result was a raw water drain back into the cylinders. I didn’t know this might happen, (I do now!), and the motor sat dormant for five weeks.
When I came to start it again it would not even turn over. I removed the injectors and the motor turned over, shooting a great stream of mucky water all over the head liner. There was also water in the oil, so I drained that.
I then did a compression test, #1 cylinder 85psi, #2 124psi, #3 185psi. None of this is high enough to cause combustion. I’m told the rings have seized up.
So I have now removed the head and there was water contamination in the exhaust, though still soft mush. I have cleaned that out and re-ground the valves.
I filled the cylinders with thin oil but after three days soaking I found I could not even turn the motor from the front pulley. The cylinders do not show any scoring.
Is there any way I can avoid lifting the block and removing the pistons and changing the rings? This is a heck of a job and means separating the generator section from the motor.
Any ideas please!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook