SailNet Community - View Single Post - Contest/Game - Identify this picture
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: Contest/Game - Identify this picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
TDW's got it.. Nanaimo harbour, and specifically Newcastle Island Marine Park, with the second pic from nearby Protection island, the famed Dinghy dock pub behind the foliage on the right. (The palms were supposed to throw you off)

Interesting link, Seaduction... but whoever it is got it wrong. Gabriola Island is a few miles distant, and all the quarry/pulpstone/pillar references are actually to do with Newcastle Island, currently the park.

This park has many kms of trails, several quarry ruins, footings of old canneries, was a significant coal mining area (hence the name).. Coal shafts and tunnels run under the sea between Naniamo and Newcastle, and an old ventilator shaft still stands.

A former Union Steamships tour stop, the original dance hall still stands and is often rented out for parties and weddings. Campsites, passenger ferries, camp floats for 60 odd boats and dozens of mooring buoys round out one of BC's premier sailing destination.
The palms do throw one off. I saw some similar palms in Dublin, Ireland in 2009 in April. I have pictures, too. I found a website for the historical society of Gabriola which talks about the sandstone quarries as well. From late 1800 till 1936. Its this link: Gabriola Historical and Museum Society: Collections - Industry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook