SailNet Community - View Single Post - Continuous duty, non-thermally compensated alternator: options?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013

Rusty123 is on a distinguished road
Continuous duty, non-thermally compensated alternator: options?

Some new developments in my alternator saga:

Repair quote from the shop is $200. Plus, they tell me this a 35 amp, not 55, as I had thought. I'm not inclined to spend $200 for an undersized alternator - I'd rather put my money towards something more suitable.

Based on lots of research and conversations, my options seem to fall out along these lines.

*Balmar 100 or 125 amp alt, detuned with a Balmar external regulator to 60 amps or so. Max performance, flexibility, and price ($~1,000).

*Balmar or equivalent internally regulated high output alternator, smallest size available 70 or 80 amps. Good performance and moderate cost, but no way to detune (that I know of), so probably too big for my 15 hp engine (~$600).

*New or used & rebuilt 55 amp hitachi. Moderate cost, but dubious performance under load (due to temperature compensation) ~$400. (I haven't found anyone besides hitachi that makes Yanmar-mount alternators, but if there was, that would be another, perhaps better option).

*Chinese hitachi clone. Lowest cost, but dubious performance and reliability. ~$200.

Any suggestions, corrections, or other ideas?

Last edited by Rusty123; 10-22-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook