SailNet Community - View Single Post - liberty vs newport
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: liberty vs newport

If you don't have to be near the city, Haverstraw is nice for winter, very protected, but quite a bit up river.

I think it really depends on what your needs and wants are. Both appear to be close to public transport, but there is a ferry that goes directly into Liberty that is handy. What are your priorities? Remember you often get what you pay for, so there might well be a reason why one is cheaper. Be sure to include any extras like electric, parking, water and pump outs. Also what the facilities are important to you. Would you have access to a car? Do you need parking, and is it available. Security in both marinas will be important to check as well. I believe the neighborhood around Newport is likely nicer, but I have not been there in almost 20 years so I am sure my opinions are dated. I used to run the concessions at Ellis Island so I am a bit partial to Liberty State Park.

Personally I would not make a commitment to either until after a visit and a discussion to the management. I believe they both have liveable fees in addition to the slip fee so account for that.

Last edited by miatapaul; 10-23-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook