SailNet Community - View Single Post - How much deck over the cabin do I remove?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: How much deck over the cabin do I remove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRoy View Post
On my boat I've been thinking of drilling a regular grid of 1/4 inch holes (maybe from inside the cabin), 1 inch or so apart. I saw this in a West System PDF as a way of drying out the core where it is not yet rotten. Seems like a good idea, but we will see!

Maybe that would work in this case. At the very least, drilling a preliminary grid of holes maybe 4 inches apart would map out the extent of the job.

BTW, how the job is done depends on how much experience one has with fiberglass and epoxy. It can go from very hard to not that bad depending on the skills and approach used.
Yes, some people will drill holes and inject epoxy into the holes to stiffen up the deck. It is a bit of a hack, but works for some. The biggest issue (as most of these boats it is either a quick fix or it faces a battle with a chain saw) is that if it does not work you now have two pieces of fiberglass with a mixture of rotted wood, and hardened epoxy that is basically impossible to separate and clean up. I have seen some that have used a grease gun to force out the water and force in the epoxy after they screw zirk fittings into the holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rat View Post
??How many layers of fiberglass would it take to make a solid GRP cabin roof?
It would be a real PITA job but it would last a really long time.
Well in order to get enough stiffness, I think it would be a LOT and LOTS of resin, so much so as you would spend more on 2 part resin (the stuff is expensive) than the boat is likely worth, and it would be heavy enough to effect the sailing qualities in a quite negative way. There is a reason ALL quality manufactures use a core of some sort. Especially if your mast is deck stepped.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook