SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dangers of LED navigation lights
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Dangers of LED navigation lights

You have a point but on a 40ft boat if you got really bad weather the chances is that the bow lights will stop to work or at least is what happened to me on several sail boats and several occasions, I mean those conditions where the bow (and the lanterns) are frequently washed by waves and subject to violent shocks. The filaments of normal lamps will not stand the punishment and even led lights can go out of position. Last time it happen to me was this summer on a f8 but with a much nastier sea, raised by a storm that had already passed:

The two lights went off and there is no way I could go forward to change the lamps, being the boat movement too violent.

Later, next morning I found out that I had a led on one side, that had just a bad contact (due to the motion) and on the other a lamp that had broken the filament.

I asked to the shipyard where I have the boat to give me a quote for a tricolor on the top of the mast. I agree that it is worst than the lights on the bow and stern but better than no lights at all and those on top of the mast are more resistant to bad weather: I will have the two systems and I will only use the mast tricolor as back up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook