SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF AIS radios
Thread: VHF AIS radios
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: VHF AIS radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I'm very happy with the Standard Horizon GX 2150, a terrific radio even without the AIS... I'd choose it over an Icom anyday, largely due to the fact that the Icom connectors for a cockpit remote mic are absolute pieces of crap, guaranteed to fail over time...

I have no interest whatsoever in "networking" my systems, so the 'old-fashioned' NMEA 0183 doesn't bother me at all...
John,

Fifteen years ago I was a huge ICOM fan, they were simply better VHF's way back when. Today, not so much performance separation. At the Annapolis show I actually saw people walking around with ICOM RAM mics preparing to shove them up the butts of anyone working the ICOM booth.......

Since moving away from ICOM, due to poor product reliability, mostly remote mic cords, I have not looked back from Standard Horizon. The radio is a work horse, reliable and Standard Horizon is one hell of a company to deal with if you have to. They have great support and great turn around.

We have the Matrix AIS 2100 and it has performed flawlessly. Even drives our fog horn, has a hailer and many other great features. The mic cord on our RAM mic has been bullet proof and in the fog here in Maine it gets LOTS of use. We also monitor VHF 16 with it at all times so it has lots of hours. My only gripe is they really ought to have a N2K compatible model by now. Also the RAM mic cord is very stiff but I've not yet seen one broken, unlike the ICOM RAM's...

Just got done dealing with a Ray VHF issue. VHF was very noisy and influenced by nearly anything AC or DC you turned on. Ferrites, chokes the whole gammut, nothing worked. Ray was of no help and wanted to do a flat rate repair that cost more than a new radio... Replaced it with a Matrix AIS 2150, dead silent, no noise, no interference and using the same circuit and VHF antenna.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-23-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook