SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ana Capri or Anacapri?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013

74anacapri is on a distinguished road
Re: Ana Capri or Anacapri?

These look beautiful. The leading edge on my rudder is straight, the subtle curve on your template is sweet.

The boat design doesn't seem to suffer from rudder responsiveness, even when driven hard, so I wouldn't worry about the area. Looks good.

Think about adding an attachment or hole on the trailing edge for an uphaul. When coming into shallow water, you could lift the keel and pull up the rudder, and nose right up to the sand. For me, I gotta stand on the motor mount and tuck my foot under the rudder and pull up. Just a thought.

Make sure the rudder won't hit the bottom edge of the transom when fully up. Looks like you already thought about this. Sometime over the years I managed to crack that sharp edge at the bottom of the transom, had to fill and fair it.

I went a couple of seasons messing with mast rake to see if I could learn anything about balance and weather helm. My only conclusion was to keep a little aft rake and if I'm smart enough I can ok balance to either jib or genoa with main full or reefed. Any remaining problems are due to the skipper, not the rudder.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook