SailNet Community - View Single Post - NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
What happens when the paper gets wet? I'm going to go out on a very short limb here and suggest that getting important items wet is infinitely more possible than them being hit by lightning.
No doubt you're right about that...

Funny, but I can't recall the last time I had a paper chart rendered unusable by moisture, I take great care to keep mine dry, and spilled coffee is far and away the most likely casualty any of my paper charts are likely to have suffered, in any event... Suffice it to say, I have had far more losses/failures of electronic devices on boats, than of paper charts, and pencils, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Don't rely on electronics? What happens when you need help, even with those paper charts? Electronics to the rescue! Damn that potential t-storm!
Where have I suggested that? My little tub is likely equipped with more electronic gizmos than most of her size, and most of the boats I deliver are fitted out electronically to the hilt, as well. I make use of all that stuff routinely, reliance on GPS is my primary means of navigation, and I've probably made more than one run from the NE or Mid-Atlantic to Florida without ever even glancing at a paper chart... Still, I'm simply not comfortable being without them, especially in waters that are new or unfamiliar to me...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook