SailNet Community - View Single Post - NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts

I have not bought paper charts for a number of years. I think the last Maptech Chartbook I have is around five years old. Ever since NOAA RNC and ENC charts became available, I have been printing my own up to date charts, downloaded from NOAA on a little inkjet printer I keep aboard. As I have posted here before, printing up your own custom little 8x11 chartbooks, with infinite scale options, is extremely helpful. Color is optional but I've never found it necessary. These chartbooks can be printed directly from plotter software (actually Sea Clear does the best job of printing without annoying corporate logos), showing notes, routes, markers, etc. and can be used to write on as you go, serving as your logbook. This seems like a no-brainer to me, given modern technology. You have the go-to electronic nav and paper backup/log as well. I have referred to these many times when planning for currents. They give a real-world account about what actually occurs in certain spots, when currents actually turn, etc. Marking your track with time and speed, gives an excellent record of actual events which can be used for subsequent planning.

A laserjet printer would be better but I find that laserjets will not work on my converter, even though it is a "pure sine wave" model. I cnnot ever remember water destroying any chart but even if this happened, another would be easy to print.

Last edited by smurphny; 10-24-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook