SailNet Community - View Single Post - Practical Sailor has deaf ears
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Practical Sailor has deaf ears

While I will concede that Practical Sailor's email solicitations to buy what are esentially aggregated reprints is a PITA, I still find they offer good value. I have learned a great deal reading PS over the years.

While their product tests won't always get it right, they apply a whole lot more rigor than I ever could. In the long run over many purchases spending a lot of dough, I feel they've steered me pretty well and certainly earned their keep.

That their website gives access to all issues back to 1998 is BIG. One could take the time to download and save all PDFs and have a nice portable research library. Use their current website Search function to list the issues where a particular topic was discussed and read all germane articles at your leisure.

And while I too am a fan of Good Old Boat, they lay on the schmaltzy "we are family" bit pretty thick. But they too earn their keep.

They way I look at it... if either saves me even a couple hours shopping, or planning a repair or upgrade... or steers me to a competent but less-expensive product, it has paid for itself for the year. Both meet that criteria.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook