SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013

olianta is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
Congrats on your purchase, Rumen. I am sure you will be happy with that choice. And don't let anyone tell you the Oceanis 38 would have been a better choice. Ridiculous!!
Thanks! A Luffe 37.09 (the way it will be made for me) cannot compare to the Oceanis 38 in anything. They are antipodes. I think that whatever compromises are made in the segment of 36-38 sailing yachts one can never get a decent home with good sailing capabilities. If I had the time to cruise in the Med like Paulo does (6-7 months) I would certainly have chosen a boat with bigger space to live above and under deck (certainly Luffe 3.6 than Oceanis 38). For the time being I will be sailing weekends only and/or certain weeks. I am not a marina dweller, neither an anchorage one, therefore I do not need that kind of charter boat like the Oceanis 38. In my opinion modern hulls have evolved because of two major trends: (a) better speed downwind (because upwind there are limitations) and (b) bigger living space. They are neither more seaworthy, nor sea kindly. And the Luffe 37 is not an old hull because of narrow beam, reverse stern and traditional bow. I think she would be more efficient both in light and strong winds and she will behave certainly better in waves, especially upwind.
Rumen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook