SailNet Community - View Single Post - NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts

This is a subject I feel very strongly about.

Cruising, especially passage making, without paper charts is very poor seamanship. I have had my electronics fail - both the older electronics (C80 from lightning strike) and new electronics (E80s on corrosion on HSB). Given enough time, yours will too. THey are electronics!

Paper charts can be waterproof, and they can go into sleeves to stay dry. You can also make a copy of the paper charts and pencil plot on them in case you lose your electronics to assist in DR.

Don't get me wrong - I love my GPS and chart plotter. It sure is easy and convenient. But backups are absolutely necessary or one of these days, you are gong to get caught blindsided.

Now I do have exceptions to this. For those who are sailing local waters, lakes, etc... you really don't have to have paper charts. You could undoubtedly find your way back without any aids. But the thought of doing any kind of cruising or passage making without them is akin to those who don't think they need a VHF because they have a cell phone.

My opinions.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook