SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by olianta View Post
Thanks! A Luffe 37.09 (the way it will be made for me) cannot compare to the Oceanis 38 in anything. They are antipodes. I think that whatever compromises are made in the segment of 36-38 sailing yachts one can never get a decent home with good sailing capabilities. If I had the time to cruise in the Med like Paulo does (6-7 months) I would certainly have chosen a boat with bigger space to live above and under deck (certainly Luffe 3.6 than Oceanis 38). For the time being I will be sailing weekends only and/or certain weeks. I am not a marina dweller, neither an anchorage one, therefore I do not need that kind of charter boat like the Oceanis 38. In my opinion modern hulls have evolved because of two major trends: (a) better speed downwind (because upwind there are limitations) and (b) bigger living space. They are neither more seaworthy, nor sea kindly. And the Luffe 37 is not an old hull because of narrow beam, reverse stern and traditional bow. I think she would be more efficient both in light and strong winds and she will behave certainly better in waves, especially upwind.
Rumen
yes, the Oceanis 380 will have a better speed downwind (specially with strong wind), much more interior space, standing height, much less heel but above all will be a more stable platform and an easier to sail boat solo or with a short crew, specially downwind. No, talking in general terms these type of boats are not more seaworthy, nor less (it all depends on each particular design) but they have for the same weight a much bigger overall stability (that's why they are a more stable platform) and they are not more sea kindly, quite the opposite but they are not charter boats.

They are used as charter boats more than boats like Luffe because they are less expensive (and therefore more profitable) and because most sailors prefer to sail in them. Some years ago there was at least a Luffe used as charter boat that does not make Luffes or any other type of boat charter boats.

Don't take me wrong, I love Luffe sailboats and some years back I was seriously considering the Luffe 43ds (I was hopping Oluf would make a new model with a more modern hull, like the one on the 45) but what you say about the Oceanis 38 is just not fair nor true.

The Oceanis 38 has a sailing performance different from the one of the Luffe 37.09 but I bet that its racing rating will be very close if not superior and that means in absolute terms that in overall performance the boats will be very close.

Regarding a boat with 37/38ft not making a good "home" with good sailing performance, if you consider the performance of the Luffe 37.09 good, than you are wrong and the Oceanis 38 is prove of that.

Other boats like the Salona 38 or the Dehler 38 have also a good cruising interior, standing height, lots of storage and a good galley and they will provide a far better performance. They will provide a good second "home", at least if we are talking about a family of four (two children).

Click in 360º

http://www.dehler.com/#/gb/new-38/exterieur/

360 - Salona Yachts

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-24-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook