SailNet Community - View Single Post - Certificate of Origin for Galilee trailer needed
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013
Geoff54's Avatar
Geoff54 Geoff54 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 711
Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 4
Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Certificate of Origin for Galilee trailer needed

If the trailer is from a professional manufacturer, it will have a VIN either stamped into the frame or, more usually stamped into a plate which is permanently attached to the frame. The manufacturer supplies a Certificate of Origin that identifies that particular trailer and is used the first time it is registered. No one but the original manufacturer can provide you with one.

If it has been previously titled, the old title + a bill of sale is usually sufficient.

The rules varies a little from state to state but if the trailer was home built it needs to be inspected by whoever does that in your state – usually State Police or Highway Patrol, who attach a “Home Built VIN” plate. You also need to prove the origin (i.e. that you aren’t trying to title a stolen trailer) by providing a bill of sale, receipts for materials, etc. (it varies). Find a friendly person at Motor Vehicles and find out if a bill of sale is sufficient for you.

Motor Vehicles in rural areas are usually more friendly than in cities.

Good Luck.
"The great thing about the internet is that you can quote anyone and no one will bother to check the source" - Aristotle
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook