SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Bob Perry 41ft Schooner

That's amazing a 41ft schooner! I will not ask to Bob Perry why? because I have read the explanation??? why the owner wanted that rig on a 40ft boat and I read also that Bob wanted to make it a 50ft boat (and I can understand why). About all that this comment by the owner is very clear, I mean between the lines

"One day well into the design Bob told me he absolutely had to have 12 more inches to make the lazarettes and swim step work. I am a product designer and I have fought many battles over 1 mm so I asked Bob to prove it to me. After he described the problem I concluded that only 6 inches were needed. He agreed. That was the only time I gave on LOD or draft."

Specs and plans

Yes, I had also my share of clients like that

The boat is beautiful and I guess it would not very dificult to make it a cutter gaffer that in my opinion would make more sense and would preserve the traditional look.

The only thing I have some difficulty in understanding is the weight. The Original design was for 30 000 lbs with a ballast of 12600lbs but ended up with 32000Lbs. The boat has carbon masts (they are painted to look like wood?) and the materials and building methods are modern and top quality: Cedar Strip planking with a core and west epoxy system. The ballast is considerable due to the small draft (demanded by the owner) but even so it looks to me too heavy buy several thousands of Lbs. Bob Can you explain us why?

LOD 40'6" ...............Mast Height 49'7"
DWL 37'6" ........... Sail Area 1,046 sq. ft.
Beam 13'1"BWL 12'.....Fuel 100 g in two tanks
Draft 5'6".................Water 130 g in two tanks
Disp. 32,000 lbs.........Holding 50 g
Ballast 12,600 lbs.......Volvo 75hp saildrive with feathering autoprop
BWL 12'....................D/L 270.9
Draft 5'6"..................SA/D 16.6
Disp. 32,000 lbs.
Ballast 12,600 lbs.

I really like the boat and can imagine it with 8000kg, a torpedo keel with 2.25m draft and a more modern rig, a cutter rig. Than I would not only find it beautiful but it would make it my type of boat, at least one of them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-24-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook