SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
post #4804 of Old 10-24-2013
bobperry
grumpy old man

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Paulo:
Many thanks. That is a beautful display. You are Hired! You can run the Euro office for me.

I don't recall why the boat weighed 32,000 lbs. except that is what I have on the drawings so that is what I had in mind. Often times when I am beginning a new hull shape I don't include the dipslacement of the keel because I may not know what I am going to do with the keel yet. That may be the case here.

If you are simply remarking on why I designed it to be so heavy the reason is stability. As you know, San Francisco is a windy place. Typically on a summer afternoon you will have 20 to 25 knots steady in the Bay. I wanted the schooner to stand up and be a powerful, stiff boat. With that low draft I needed displacement to get the stability the client wanted.

Again, many thanks for the well thought out spread.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome