SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar 2GMF, throttle return spring too strong
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013

rauschpfeife is on a distinguished road
Yanmar 2GMF, throttle return spring too strong

I recently acquired a Pearson 303, vintage 1983, and I'm still getting to know it. Yanmar 2GMF inboard.

A curious problem: the throttle appears to have a return spring, or something similar, which tends to push the throttle back down to the idle position. There is a sort of clamp on the throttle cable housing, which creates enough friction in the cable to oppose this force. But if I clamp the cable hard enough to keep the throttle in the fully-open position, it's so clamped-down I can't move the throttle at all.

There doesn't seem to be any obvious way to adjust the tension on the return spring, or whatever it is, which seems to be *inside* the engine. Is that possible?

Anybody ever encountered this problem? Suggestions?

PS -- Been looking at the service manual, and I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that all this magic happens inside the injector pump... Somebody tell me I'm wrong!

Last edited by rauschpfeife; 10-24-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Some new information
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook