SailNet Community - View Single Post - Signatures
Thread: Signatures
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Signatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
All of this strikes my chuckle bone and tickles my noggin.Back when, Alex started Anything-Sailing because he got tired of being censored here - both for anti-vendor rants and for his occasional over the top OT posts and picture edits. He wanted a forum he could be himself in, so he made one. I was asked to moderate it a couple months after it started. Oh, wow. A no rules OT side and a 'family friendly' sailing side with kids and such on it.It took about 6 months to shut down the political side, 6 more to make the rest of OT a ghost town and then it drifted along slowly for another year before even I got fed up with some of the unfiltered comments in the sailing side and left the forum (about a year ago) and came back here. Since coming back here I've not posted in OT - of any flavor, politics, comedy etc. I changed my signature from a A. Lincoln quote to something I made up a while back. I like it better that way. Next change - member status, i can see it coming as some folks have already learned how to make a statement in there. Then locations will need monitoring.
I like it better my way - just ban them, this is a sailing forum.
Chuckles, you will always be in my goodbooks, if only cos compared to that mangey rat you hide behind I am positively svelt. (well at least the thing I hide behind is.)

I'm another one who regrets the fate of A-S. I always liked Alex and when I visted Portugal the hospitality shown by Alex and family was quite remarkable. To boot I think I learnt more in one afternoon sailing with the man than I'd learnt in the previous decade. In cruising mode that boat was gobsmackingly rapid. I'd hate to think what shes like in full tilt stripped out racer mode.

That said, he did seem to take a turn against cruising sailors and that I'm sure drove people away. Sadly some of those were ex SailNutters who didn't end up back here which is a shame. Of course Alex is unlikely, 99.999% unlikely I'd say, to ever return here but he'd be more than welcome if he did.

As regards legal ramifications re slagging off of vendors .... A-S never made enough of an impact to attract the attention of the legal vultures. SailNet did and as Sailing Anarchy seems to finding out to their cost the Interweb is not a de militarised zone legally speaking. Specifically in regard to the one major brouhaha, something to do with Tartan if memory serves , I most certainly disagreed with the SailNet Admin stance but, and it is a very big but, I do understand why they caved.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 10-24-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook