SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF AIS radios
Thread: VHF AIS radios
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: VHF AIS radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
The place for an AIS receiver to be integrated is in a chartplotter. Many units, especially smaller ones, have already integrated GPS receivers. An AIS receiver would be an easy addition and avoid all the problems of integration with a fixed VHF. If you find one on the market next year remember you heard it here first.
Wouldn't that mean a PL-259 antenna connection on the chartplotter? To (most likely) an external splitter?? Coupled with the RF issues somehow I don't think any chartplotter manufacturer will be going down that path soon.

Perhaps we can agree to disagree, but to my mind, the only sensible place for an AIS receiver to be integrated is within the radio - VHF+DSC/GPS/AIS together with a single data stream to a non-GPS chartplotter or VHF+DSC/AIS with a data stream to/from a GPS-enabled chartplotter.

Having DSC on the radio is obvious, but having AIS on the VHF, even without GPS, allows push-button "target calling" - not something you can do from a chartplotter.

Last edited by Classic30; 10-24-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook