SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Last post about this. I don't like to be off topic: You can find one of those 7 year's old in Italy (where the used sailboats are cheap now due to the bad economic situation) for around 150 000 euros. They still make this model and you can buy a brand new one with the same hull but a faster keel, two wheel setup and a nicer more integrated geenaker pole by about 300 000 euros. No, it is not a Bob Perry design but he has designed boats as fast as this one and even faster (racers).

I don't know how fast she can go. I know that on the first sailing test with a full crew and strong wind they went to 18K. There is one racing (duo crew) right now on the Middle of the sea sail race and at one of the control points they were faster than several 40class racers. My boat is no racer and has a great (and heavy) cruising interior.

I sail solo (with my wife that likes to cook) and I am happy with the boat reaching easily 8K, even with weak winds and go occasionally at 11/12K downwind (without spinnaker).

Well, just to be on topic: You cannot do that with a 41ft steel boat

Regards

Paulo
Sounds like the way I would have to sail. Thanks fir the info, Looked at an old westsail 32 original owner yesterday that is building his own steel 53 footer. I didn't think the boat was gonna be worth anything and does need a complete refit but the hull looks like a ten year old well maintainedl all original gellcoat never painted. Really nice hull but the rest of the boat was in need of replaceing, at least that's what it looked like to me. Can you imaging an old guy late sixtires building a 53 foot...I think he said ketch.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook