SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJohns View Post
Sad to see so much downright dishonesty. Hard to imagine that someone could expect that it would go unnoticed. And all about info that's on public record which is a bit dumb.

I'm the one Brent refers to as "claiming to be a Naval Architect"
I'm a PEng who works as a prof marine engineer. The anecdote above attributed to me is typical of Brent. It's also a complete distortion. I didn't make the claim about a square pressure hull. Nor anything about "13 inches of steel plate......." In fact what usually happens is that Brent makes it up something silly, attributes it someone, posts several times that they said it, then goes on to quote it on another forum.

Wynand the boilermaker and professional steel boatbuilder, who built such great examples of Dudly Dix's designs, didn't say he was a racist and proud of it. That's a bit of a sick statement. Nor were there any racist attacks on Brent. Everyone on BDnet treated him fairly, he just made a complete fool of himself. Again and Again. I like the one about the coastguard backing you up on that site, that's getting creative beyond even a hint of distorted truth.

Nothing Brent posts can be taken as reality without checking the facts first but I guess everyone knows that by now. I think this spiel of Brent's will make a few people angry since it's quite objectionable.

PS, Sorry my first post is a bit of a rant
Your comments were that shape has no effect on stiffness, which is the equivalent of stating that a square propane tank is the same strength as a round one. You pressed a spline in the middle, then claimed that a longitudinal would also bulge out near the ends while welded, and thus contained inside a steel hull, the same way your spline out in the open did. Wynand definitely declared himself a racist and proud of it. He also joined the attack on framlessness ,and only later admitted he had built a framless 38 ft Dix design, posted on the origami boats site. You also supported the notion that the steel under my mast support pipes, 13 inches of 3/16th plate, would break before the 3 -5/16th windward shrouds would, and that could happen in the first 4 hours ,. something which hasn't happened in over 40 years.
I stand by all my comments on that site.