SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Unlike other types of steel construction , origami boats can be beautiful without the filler and 40,000 dollar paint jobs. They are naturally fair, being made from full sized sheets, eliminating the many seams and welds, which are the source of distortion in other building methods.
I guess this is where we just disagree. Beauty to you is a hull that's not wavy. Beauty to me is a hull that has a beautiful shape, an elegant form, artful proportions. That kind of hull doesn't need paint or filler or anything else to make it beautiful. It just IS beautiful.

Your boats are, without doubt, tough. And they're typically not that wavy. I just think there are far more beautiful steel boats out there. That's all I'm saying. (Many examples above.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-24-2013 at 06:45 PM.