SailNet Community - View Single Post - We Killed the Pacific Ocean
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: We Killed the Pacific Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallswede View Post
People are nasty is what I am learning and there are simply not enough of us who want to reduce, re-use, recycle yet. BUT, things have actually gotten better. My little creek was once filled with oil derricks and the waters ran like chocolate milk. The area has been cleaned up for the most part and wild life has come back. The water is much cleaner but there is still too much trash being thrown down and washed into the water shed but I have hope that as industry has gotten it's act together around here that people will too.
far too true. Living on the southern end of NJ, i can remember days when you could not swim in the ocean when the tide and currents would bring NY's sewerage down the coast, causing fecal counts to climb through the roof. Now it is rare to see a beach closed (and NJ has some high standards on what they consider a clean beach, beleive it or not) and in a lot of cases the once murky green ocean has become quite clear.

Here in the US the problem is no longer big companies polluting. We have largely taken care of that.. it is the everyday folk who keep tossing their garbage wherever they want. I live on a corner lot and constantly find trash in the grass. I also do some offroading into the Pine Barrens the amount of "heavy" trash I find deposited out there is just sickening.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook