SailNet Community - View Single Post - I did my first solo sail.
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Ray, you must feel very happy now…that you sail on your own…. that’s good. Congrats.

When I sail alone and I need to go forward, I have a tether (is this the right name guys??) (a cable attaching me to two ropes that run forward to aft on each side of the cabin), (sorry I don't know the name), but I use a very very short one that will leave me hanging from the side, and doesn't let me in the water all together.. If I fall overboard and because my boat is fast, I can't get up on the boat again, the water force is too much...I've tried and spent most of the time under water, couldn't even get the head out, got tired out in 3 minutes....basically I would die... SO IF I FALL I RATHER HANG, and bruise myself than go in the water...
When at the wheel, I have a larger tether so I can move from port to Starboard. Still would not get wet with those.

So although uncomfortable, if I get overboard, I will always hang. I use a Trapeze vest, because it does not chew my balls...

I also release and drag a 20 meter rope from my stern, with loops every 3 feet, so if I fall over I can put my feet and use as a ladder as it gets near the transom, the loops are every 1,5 feet.

I also carry my cell phone, in a floating water tight poach....let the wife and the marina know where I will be going, and call the wife every 2 hours or so…
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook