SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question about sail area
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013

Chikokishi is on a distinguished road
Re: Question about sail area

How did i come up with it, How did i know where to put the mast, etc:

I figured those out after about 10 pages of calculations based on a yacht design textbook. Which included everything about the boat i could possibly hope to calculate. This is also based on building 5 previous amateur grade boats and after studying scale diagrams of "classic yachts" for countless hours. =)

Im also a senior in mechanical engineering... Which helps a little with calculations and equations.

As for sailing experience, no, i do not have much. But i am trying my best considering the largest lake around here is toxic and kills everything that enters it. (I dont do much sailing there... =P)

In response, thanks for answering my question! My boat's sail to volume displacement puts it just above "cruiser class" with my main sail and first headsail. With the topsail and the fore headsail it boosts the sail area up to above "racing" class. But it also changes my centre of sail effort about 1.5 feet forward. Iv decided on a longer, shallower keel to minimize having to fight the boat with steering. I asked the original question because i was deciding if i should increase my main sail area or not to get closer to my goal.

This is my current sailplan, the rudder and keel are just sketched, not actually calculated and finalized yet:

Here is a screenshot of my hull design, although it has changed a little bit since this picture (One major difference being that i narrowed the hull by 10% which changed it considerably):

Thanks again for the replies
Chiko

Last edited by Faster; 10-30-2013 at 01:43 AM. Reason: resized oversize image
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook