SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question about sail area
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
Re: Question about sail area

Chiko you are on the right track :-) I don't know if you realize how lucky you are to have gotten Bob interested, but I think he will have some very constructive suggestions.

I'll just give you my opinion on what you specifically mentioned: the boat in my avatar is my old boat, SA/D around 12-13, long shallow full keel. She was fun, and tracked great, but slow and hard to maneuver especially astern. I sold her and got a much more modern centerboarder with a planing hull and SA/D in the low 20s (depending on crew) - going fast is a blast. In a second I would tell you make the main/fore area as big as possible (and plan for reef points in the main), and go with as high-aspect-ratio and deep a keel (and rudder) as you possibly can.

Other notes: first, get your transom above the waterline a bit. You want a clean exit; what you have now will create a lot of drag. Second, it looks like your LOA is 12 feet, but you're adding a sprit. I don't know about your budget or planned construction methods, but if you can skip the sprit and bring the LOA up, there is no substitute for waterline.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook