SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF AIS radios
Thread: VHF AIS radios
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: VHF AIS radios

I personally don't have much of an issue with the VHF / AIS factory made radios and don't tend to see any measurable performance differences between standard fixed mount and VHF/AIS combos. I do test them on every install with an SWR....

The problems I see most with VHF performance.....

Main VHF unit wired with too small of a power wire (18GA etc)

Piss poor Shakespere "pinch through the jacket" PL-259's (personally I think there should be a class action against these absolute POS connectors.)

This one was just 9 weeks old and failing to do its job. But hey its gold plated so it must be good:

Piss poor DIY and pro soldering of PL-259's (the #1 failure)

Kite string VHF cable:

The wrong antenna for a sailboat (even seen auto CB antennas used..)

Lack of any SWR testing once installed and newly wired. Simply putting out a radio check really does very little to tell you what your actual performance may be over a long distance in an emergency.

I would argue that worrying about a potential performance difference between an AIS/VHF and a standard VHF, in the real world of installed VHF systems on boats, is the least of our worries when it comes to VHF radios.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-25-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
Melrna (10-25-2013)