SailNet Community - View Single Post - Practical Sailor has deaf ears
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Practical Sailor has deaf ears

I swear I get crap from them every week about signing up again.

Their "boat reviews" are fairly mediocre and the articles are really meh. I really subscribed for access to the boat reviews, but I realized soon after they weren't as good as info found for free online. I'm pretty sure I am signed up for 2 years, I guess I won't hold my breath that they will continue coming, but I don't care that much TBH.

As for Good Old Boat, I've found it really useful, I just wish it was monthly and that they had better back access to articles. Having to order a physical copy of an old edition is an antiquated idea, I wish they had them all on their website like PS. At the same time, if it keeps them in business, so be it. I'd rather that than the current situation we have with PS.

Along the same lines, I wish someone would do more blunt boat reviews. I've yet to see a boat review that wasn't somewhat passive aggressive about a boat sucking. Let's face it, there are crappy boats out there and mediocre boats with substantial restrictions (or even good boats with still substantial restrictions). I wish some of these reviews would be more bold about what sucks and what doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I quit reading PS 35 years ago when they wrote a piece on the Valiant 32 claiming it was a "coastal cruiser". If ever there was an overbuilt boat it was the Valiant 32.
But it has a skeg hung rudder! Couldn't possibly be used outside of a river. Sheesh, n00b.

Last edited by Shinook; 10-25-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook